[SYN] [SYN-ACK] [ACK]…General Network Error! Check your network documentation.
generalnetworkerror.com is dedicated to dispelling the myth that the network is usually the source of unknown and errant behavior in applications. This is rarely the case in a well-designed network. The difference of application to network errors is usually orders of magnitude, and geometrically increases with load.
We will explore various networking topics from real-world experiences, ranging from L2-L3 configuration and troubleshooting to L5/L7 load-balancing to the infamous general network error. Although many possibilities exist to accomplish a given task, tried and true methods will be presented, but these should only be taken under consideration for use in your own network after proper vetting for fit and function.
Google’s DNS registration of .PROD through its Charleston Road Registry has caused some name resolution issues internally when using non fully qualified domain names (non-FQDNs). For those of us who have DNS search suffix lists that attempt to resolve shorter names in a PROD domain by appending an example.com suffix to yield .prod.example.com, you may see now unexpected answers in DNS.
Any names being resolved that end in “.prod” with “example.com” in your search list no longer works. Since .prod is now a valid gTLD (generic top-level domain), DNS is attempting to resolve this through Google’s registry. Google, in their infinite wisdom, is returning valid responses instead of negative answers as intended by the RFCs
10 Most Recent Entries
- Google .PROD gTLD rears its head and screams "look at me"
- Cisco 'ip helper-address' and Windows DHCP Servers
- What factors drive a Cisco IOS upgrade?
- Cisco Embedded Event Manager (EEM) Config Diff Generator
- Cisco WLC (Wireless LAN Controller) Series - IP & VLAN Planning
- Cisco WLC (Wireless LAN Controller) Series - Building Blocks
- Cisco WLC (Wireless LAN Controller) Series - Introduction
- Top General Network Errors from Microsoft
- End-of-Life (EoL) for the Cisco ACE Load-Balancer
- Cisco CSS 11500 HTTP-to-HTTPS (SSL) Redirection